For when the rhubarb all comes along at once and you want to spread the joy a little further. This recipe is simple and so tasty on toast, crumpets with some cream on a scone, or mixed with yoghurt to top of a morning bowl of fresh fruit salad. Make the rhubarb last longer!
Rhubarb & Vanilla Jam
- Prep Time
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1kg fresh Rhubarb chopped into inch long pieces.
- 1kg of preserving sugar.
- A dash of vanilla essence (no more than half a teaspoon full normally does the trick)
- 100 ml orange juice per kg of fruit
- Sterilised jam jars
- Place the chopped rhubarb into to a large mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Combine the fruit and sugar with a wooden spoon.
- Pour over the orange juice.
- Cover and leave to mellow and mature. Overnight is ideal but a few hours is also okay. The sugar draws out the juice from the rhubarb giving you a super tasty syrup. This really helps the depth of flavour of the finished jam.
- When you are ready transfer the rhubarb and syrup to a large pan and add your vanilla essence
- Pop a side plate in the freezer. This is how you can test to see when your jam is ready.
- Gently bring to the boil until you get to a setting consistency:- only about 5-10 minutes from getting to the boil.
- To check the jam, spoon a little onto the cold plate and if it wrinkles when you push your finger to the jam, its ready
- Remove from the heat and pour into warm sterilised jam jars.